Monday, July 14, 2008

Is this the greatest family cookbook yet?

Take a bow, Tessa!

Last night my French class gathered for a Bastille Day dinner. We all brought something for the meal. My task was the soup, vichy soir, or leek and potato soup. (While we were in Paris, Iris developed a real taste for it.) So it was Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros down from the shelf and on with the makings. Although her influences in this book are mostly Italian, there is a lot of room for flexibility. But that requires, I think, sound recipes to begin with.

As I was the first course (that's how it goes for soup), I felt just a teensy bit under the pump. Some of those attending are seriously good cooks and dine at restaurants I can rarely afford. But thanks to Tessa's guidance it was smiles all round and we were underway. Coq au vin and tarte tatin followed, plus cheese and truffles and a round or two of The Marseille.

A good night all round, with a little help from friends.


No comments: